With summer coming up, we are all starting to plan our vacations and looking for some new places to discover. So in this post, I want to share with you 5 Travel Destinations, US Edition, that are the perfect place to visit this summer. I will also share with you the top things to do there and the driving time from Quebec city since there are all destinations easily accessible by road. Enjoy!
Driving Time from Quebec city: 6h30
Why visit Boston: for the clam chowder in a bowl made of bread, a Red Sox game, and a tour of the most popular university in the world.
Boston is a beautiful port city in Massachusetts. The red brick buildings and the amazing food will surely charm you and make you fall in love with the New England vibe.
Top things to do in Boston:
- Visit and eat at the Quincy Market (must try: the clam chowder!)
- Climb the 294 steps of the Bunker Hill Monument*
- Eat a Boston creme donut because you know…you’re in Boston!
- Visit Harvard and touch John Harvard’s foot for good luck. Book your tour here!
- Visit Fenway Park, home of the Red Sox baseball team. Book your tour here!
- Get the best view of Boston at the Skywalk Observatory in the Prudential Tower, + it’s FREE!
*It is currently not possible to go inside the monument due to COVID-19 restrictions, but we cross our fingers it will change for the summer! Link to the official website for updates: https://www.nps.gov/bost/bost-know-before-you-go.htm
2- Rhode Island
Driving Time from Quebec City: 7h30
Why visit Road Island: For its GI-GAN-TIC mansions you can visit, for the beach, and its gondola rides in Providence.
Road Island is the smallest state in the U.S.A, following with Delaware in the second position. It is also the home of Brown University, where a few celebrities such as Emma Watson had attended. It is the perfect destination to combine beaches and visit big mansions. Psst! It also gives some major Outer Banks vibes…
Top Things to do in Rhode Island
- Visit The Breakers and the Marble House: gigantic mansions from the 1800s. Book your tickets here.
- Take a walk by the Woonasquatucket River in Providence and enjoy the gondola men singing.
- Visit Brown University
- Enjoy the waves at Easton’s Beach.
- Eat at Flo’s Clam Shack (the best seafood and funky restaurant!)
- Envy the owners of the beautiful houses in Newport
3- New York
Driving time from Quebec city: 8h30
Why visit New York: For the skyscrapers, Times Squares, the food, and the best shopping destination. And after two years of the pandemic, who does not want to experience some vibrant city life?
“The Big Apple” is a mesmerizing city that everyone should visit once in their life. Popular TV shows such as Friends, How I met your Mother, or Gossip Girl were filmed in this iconic city, so if you are a fan of those shows, you will be even more amazed. Finally, there are just sooo many cool things to do in New York you can’t get bored.
Top things to do in New York:
- Times Square
- Shopping on Fifth Avenue and Soho
- Take a walk in Central Park
- Empire State Building. Get your tickets here!
- Radio City Music Hall (where the show America’s got talent is filmed!).
- Statue of Liberty. Get your ticket here!
- M&M’s shop
- Rub the balls of Wall Street’s bull for good luck
- Ground Zero
Driving time from Quebec city: 15h45
Why visit Chicago: Ok, so if you are from Quebec, I know that not everyone likes to do 16 hours of car…but it is such a beautiful city! The opaque turquoise color of Lake Michigan mixed with the city’s fantastic architecture makes it one of my favorite cities in the U.S.
Chicago is a city situated in Illinois. The city has become famous notably for its Prohibition period in the 20s. It is also known for its big gangster from the same period, Al Capone. If you are interested in this part of the history of Chicago, know that one popular attraction that the city offers is Prohibition Tours.
Top things to do in Chicago:
- Chicago Riverboat tour to admire the city. Get your tickets here!
- Cloud Gate (also known as The Bean)
- Try Chicago-style Deep Dish pizza!
- Willis Tower and the glass ledge
- Lincoln Park Zoo. FREE!
- Watch a baseball game at Wrigley Field
Driving time from Quebec city: 11h40
Why visit Washington: For its beautiful parks with historical monuments, for the museums, and the government buildings.
Washington, also known as the capital of the United States, is the country’s political center. The U.S Capitol, the Supreme Court, the National Archives, and the White House are some of the must-see government buildings to plan for your visit. Washington is also a very clean city with a lot of big green spaces and basins to relax, and it is one of my favorite cities in the U.S for this reason.
Things to do in Washington:
- The U.S Capitol. Click here to plan your visit.
- Washington Monument
- Jefferson Memorial (so pretty, it looks like a Greek temple (picture 1))
- National Gallery of Art
- Kathrine Dulin Folger Rose Garden
- The White House
- Lincoln Memorial (which also looks like a Greek temple)
- Arlington National Cemetery. The largest military cemetery in the U.S where John F. Kennedy & Jacqueline Kennedy, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the crew of Space Shuttle Challenger, and other notorious people were buried*.
This is it for this post! I hope you enjoyed it and it makes you look forward to the summer. I am so glad that we can start traveling again, and the U.S is a beautiful destination that is pretty accessible if you are from Quebec. If you have been to one of those destinations, what was your favorite attraction?
Stay tuned for the Canada edition of this post!